How It Works
A digital conference allows you to tune in and participate in the conference no matter where you are. No trains, planes, or automobiles needed. Just a computer and some quiet space.
Throughout the conference, you will be a part of larger group video chats, and smaller breakout groups of 4-5 attendees. We will all start the conference together and end together.
Instead of having a lineup of speakers, we have a cohort of exceptional coaches who will lead you. They will ask you questions to make you think deeply and then you’ll have the chance to discuss with the others inside. The majority of this conference will be you, on camera, talking to other attendees.
The conference will begin with a welcome kick-off led by Marie Schacht, our Akimbo Provost and Taylor Harrington, our Director of Digital Marketing. The rest of the conference will be guided discussion led by some of our remarkable Akimbo coaches.
Before the conference, you can take these steps to ensure you’re prepared to fully participate:
- When you register to attend, we will share a special link that you will need to click on the day of the conference to join the video call. Keep this link safe. Bookmark it. Put it in your calendar. If you lose it, email email@example.com.
- At the end of the registration process, you will land on a page that includes your virtual conference badge and instructions for the day of the conference. We will also be sending this out as a reminder email during the week of the conference. (check your promo/spam folder!). There will even be a recorded step by step guide for how to join the call from Taylor and Marie.
- The key thing to do before conference day is Download Zoom on your computer and test it out by opening it up. This is the free software we will use to run the conference, so be ready.
- Plan to take your virtual seat 15 minutes before the conference begins. To do so, revisit the link you were given during the registration process and that web page will be updated at that time to include your link to the Zoom call.
- Simply click the Zoom link to take your “virtual seat”.
- You will need to use your internet browser during the conference. We suggest having Chrome, Firefox, or Safari, ready to open. We have found that other browsers don’t work well with Zoom open. If you don’t have one of these browsers on your computer, you can download Chrome for free.
Here are some handy tips to look your best and be prepared for the Zoom video call.
- Sit close to the screen. Your face should fill most of it. We do ask for all attendees to be on video since this is about connecting with the others.
- Sit close to the screen. Your face should fill most of it.
- If you can, use an external microphone or headset.
- When you’re not talking, hit mute.
- Don’t eat during the conference.
- When you’re on mute on a video call, act like you’re truly engaged. Nod your head. Focus on the screen. Don’t get up and feed your dog.
- Don’t sit with the window behind you. A little effort on lighting goes a very long way.
- When you’re talking, spend some time looking at the camera, not the screen. You’ll appear more earnest and honest this way.
- When you’re talking, go slow. No one is going to steal your slot.
If you’re interested in joining us, click here to sign up for our email list.